Thursday, September 21, 2006

Week 8

  • Practical 1 - Audio Arts - Legal Issues, Copyright & Music [1]
This week we went over clearance and copyright issues in relation to music. We were asked to examine these two issues in relation to the music for our games. Personally the opportunity to write some music for a game was one of the main reasons why I did this course, so there was absolutely no question in my mind about whether I would intend to source my music. I'm sure this is a good skill to learn if I'll ever need to do this in the future, but I'm confident enough in my abilities to deal with this when the time comes. For this game the music will all be mine. Besides my director wants original music from me anyway, and is not interested in downgrading the game by skimping on the concept of an orginal soundtrack.

Here is an updated Assets List (08-10-06)
Here you can find some of the Ambience and SFX I have so far done for the Title interface of the game.

  • Practical 2 - Creative Computing - HID [2]
TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

  • Music Technology Forum - Workshop - Improvisation Groups! [3]
This week our group had the pleasure (or pain) of playing with Dr. Chandrakant Sardeshmukh. I can’t quite remember everything he talked about in regards to his improvisation philosophies because I wasn’t taking notes, but I can talk about what it was like to play with the Doctor.

Despite the seemingly well-received performance, I couldn't say I felt very comfortable playing Dr. Chandrakant. There are probably many reasons for this, but I'll get to them. Before we even started, he said to us, "Just play notes and we'll have some fun". So, from the start he was limiting us to notes. Obviously he wasn't very experienced with tech instruments or at least he didn't seem very open to what tech instruments could bring. Ok I thought, he's happy to stay within his safe zone, and I'm happy to enter his world despite the limitation he placed upon us. However, I think he automatically thought that because Luke and I were playing a 'keyboard' instrument, we should play notes. It was almost as though he was relying on us play notes if he were to communicate with us in any way. I felt pressured the whole time to give him notes! Judging from his body language he wanted me to repeat his phrases and whatever else, but I wasn't confident enough to be able to pitch his notes. Then when I thought ‘stuff it’ and detached myself from the concept of 'notes, and instead dissolved into the soundscape of music tech, he seemed to mostly concentrate on Vinny. He almost seemed angry at times. Well overall it wasn't very enjoyable even if I did learn a thing or two.
  • References
    [1] Haines, Christian. 2006. Lecture on Game Audio. University of Adelaide, 12 September.
    [2] Haines, Christian. 2006. Lecture on SuperCollider. University of Adelaide, 14 September.
    [3] Sardeshmukh, Dr. Chandrakant. 2006. Presentation by Dr. Chandrakant Sardeshmukh. University of Adelaide, 14 September.

5 Comments:

Blogger Adrian said...

Did sitting on the floor for 2 hours add to your discomfort?

10:58 am, September 22, 2006  
Blogger Tyrell Blackburn said...

YES, very much so.

2:52 pm, September 24, 2006  
Blogger John said...

That's interesting what you had to say about performing with the "Doc" as I could sense a level of anger in him also, perhaps because the group were not conforming to his own musical predisposition. I really liked your Juno contributions near the end by the way - well done ;-)

11:34 am, September 25, 2006  
Blogger Tyrell Blackburn said...

I think you're right about the conforming thing, although it's very hard to conform when you haven't had 40 years experience under your belt :P

Who knows, it can be deadly to assume too much, or anything at all.

Reflecting on the situation, it might have been better if Vinny had played something other than the drums because I felt that by doing so he was keeping to Doc close to his roots, and maybe alienating some members of the group (well maybe just me :P).

I'm very much looking forward to hearing Tyson and the bunch this Thursday though. I've actually been wanting to meet Tyson for a while. It should be good.

8:15 am, October 03, 2006  
Blogger @*} said...

I don't think he was angry, just tired..that and he's artist; not that being artistic gives one the right to be *rude*

8:30 pm, October 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home